Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Ordinance, Cap. 499
Application for Permission to Apply Directly for Environmental Permit
1. All measures described in the Project Profile submitted by the Applicant on 22 July 2003 shall be fully implemented.
2. The diverted stream must be of environmentally friendly design and allows for using as testing grounds for reuse of treated effluent if required by Water Supplies Department/Environmental Protection Department. The following detailed designs and plans shall be submitted for the project :
a) detailed design of the diverted stream to demonstrate its environmental friendliness. Natural materials like gabion, rip rap, natural rocks or the materials alike shall be used. Feasible ecological enhancement features and other design features to improve the habitat value for fishes and other aquatic organisms shall be incorporated into the design;
b) a compensatory planting plan. The plan shall include i) planting vegetation along the diverted stream; ii) planting not less than 600 trees at natural stream course near the diverted stream; and iii) planting an area of not less than 1 ha within Lantau North Country Park;
c) a fauna translocation plan; and
d) a landscape plan. The plan shall include an explanatory statement, design drawings and layout plans of the landscape areas, and an implementation programme with clear identification of the responsibilities of the implementation, management and maintenance of the landscape and visual mitigation measures.
3. Environmental Monitoring and Audit (EM&A) programme shall be formulated and implemented to ensure the implementation of various mitigation measures recommended in the Project Profile, particularly the measures for ecology, visual, landscape and water quality.
4. EM&A personnel shall be employed for the implementation of EM&A programme and independent checking. The EM&A personnel shall be suitably qualified and shall include at least an Environmental Team Leader and an Independent Environmental Checker for the EM&A programme and a biologist for the carrying out of the fauna translocation plan and compensatory planting.
5. Concreting to the surfaces of stream banks and bed shall be prohibited.
6. The stream diversion works shall be carried out in dry season (i.e. between October and March of the following year).
Under Section 17 of the EIA Ordinance, the applicant may appeal to the Appeal Board against any of the above conditions within 30 days of the receipt of this notice of the Director’s decision.
Environmental Protection Department