Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Ordinance, Cap.499
Application for Permission to Apply Directly for an Environmental Permit
Application No.: DIR-149/2007
Project Title: Decommissioning and Disposal of Clinical Waste Incinerator at
Wai Oi Block of Caritas Medical Centre
Conditions Imposed under Section 5(12) of the Ordinance
for Permission to Apply Directly for Environmental Permit
1. All measures described in the Project Profile (No. PP- 312/2007) submitted by the project proponent on 22 March 2007 shall be fully implemented.
2. A full containment approach shall be adopted for the demolition works to avoid the release of contaminated waste to the environment.
3. All residual ash and scrabbled materials collected from the incineration units, walls, floor and ceiling surfaces of the incineration room shall be disposed of at the Chemical Waste Treatment Facilities.
4. All the detached sections of the incineration units, metallic ventilation grilles (louvers) and wastes generated from the decontamination works (e.g. polythene sheets, protective clothing of workers and materials for wet wiping) shall be wrapped by polythene sheets and disposed of at a designated landfill.
5. The project proponent shall deposit three hard copies and one electronic copy of a Post-decommissioning Summary Report to the Director within one month after the completion of the decommissioning work. The Report shall describe in detail the measures adopted for the demolition works and disposal of wastes, and evaluate the effectiveness of the mitigation measures. Photographs showing the mitigation measures implemented and the site conditions before and after the demolition works shall be included in the Report.
Under section 17 of the EIA Ordinance, the applicant may appeal to the Appeal Board against any of the above conditions within 30 days of the receipt of this notice of the Director’s decision.
Environmental Protection Department