Control on Import and Export of Waste
The Control Scheme
Are all permit applications approved?
EPD process each permit application in accordance with the Waste Disposal Ordinance (WDO). EPD may either issue, with or without conditions, or refuse to issue a permit. In the case of refusal, EPD will notify the applicant of the reasons for such refusal.
Under the WDO, permit application will not be approved unless requirements under section 20A(4) or section 20B(4) are satisfied, including,
- in case of an export permit application, the competent authority of the state of import and of each state of transit has consented to the import or transit of the waste (as the case may be);
- the waste will be managed in an environmentally sound manner;
- there is or will be liability insurance, where applicable, to cover claims arising out of damage to human health, property and the environment which might result from the waste import or export operation;
- there is or will be financial guarantee providing payment for the return of the waste to the place of origin in case of incomplete shipment; and
- in case of an import permit application, the waste is not exported from developed country as that is referred to in the 9th Schedule of the WDO.
In case of an export permit application, when the applicant has completed the application form and submitted all required documents and information in full, EPD will then pass the relevant application to the competent authority of the state of import and of each state of transit.