A Simple Guide to Set Up an Environmental Management System
Carry Out An Initial Environmental Audit (Module 3)
An Initial Environmental Audit is .....
A management tool to evaluate the current environmental performance of an organization. It is a comprehensive, systematic, documented and objective evaluation of how well the organization is performing in the aspects of
- Resources utilization;
- Regulatory compliance; and
- Environmental management.
What are the objectives of conducting an Initial Environmental Audit ?
What are the benefits of conducting an Initial Environmental Audit?
What are the key stages involved in an Initial Environmental Audit ?
The main objectives of the Initial Environmental Audit are to : -
- Understand the environmental effects, impacts and consequences arising from the activities, products and services of the organization;
- Evaluate compliance with regulatory requirements, company policies and accepted good practices;
- Identify those significant environmental impacts and consequences;
- Identify areas where environmental performance can be improved and set priorities where appropriate; and
- Provide a documented basis for future audits.