Means any substance or article which is abandoned and includes animal waste, chemical waste, construction waste, household waste, livestock waste, street waste and trade waste.

Construction and demolition (C&D) materials

Construction and demolition (C&D) materials means any substance, matter or thing which is generated as a result of construction and demolition work. It is a mixture of materials arising from site clearance, excavation, construction, refurbishment, renovation, demolition and road works. Over 80% of C&D materials are inert and are known as public fill. Public fill includes debris, rubble, earth and concrete which is suitable for land reclamation and site formation. When properly sorted, materials such as concrete and asphalt can be recycled for use in construction.

Land filling

Land filling refers to depositing or placement of C&D materials as fill material on land, which results in an elevation of ground level. Land filling activities are usually carried out for purposes of filling up ponds; leveling off uneven ground surfaces; forming site for development e.g. landscaping, roads, village houses, car parks or recreation facilities; stockpiling in the form of a fill bank; or depositing of C&D materials onto land as dumping ground. Illegal land filling takes places on land without proper authorization of the Government authorities or consent from the land owners/occupiers. It does not include depositing of C&D materials at Government disposal facilities, e.g. public fill bank, or beneficial use of the materials for reclamation and earth filling projects in accordance with the relevant Government regulations.


Fly-tipping refers to illegal depositing of C&D materials, which is often associated with haphazard and casual dumping from vehicles. Flytipped C&D materials are usually scattered, left in heaps, and in small quantities up to 2 to 3 cubic metres in volume. Most of these illegal dumping activities take place in urban built-up areas at locations with good vehicular access, such as at kerb sides or side roads branched off from main roads.

Construction Waste Disposal Charging Scheme

The Construction Waste Disposal Charging Scheme commenced in Jan, 2006. Construction waste producers, such as construction contractors, renovation contractors or premises owners, prior to using government waste disposal facilities, need to open a billing account with the Environmental Protection Department and pay for the construction waste disposal charge. Through the Charging Scheme, construction waste producers are encouraged to reduce, sort and recycle construction waste so that their disposal costs can be minimized and our valuable landfill space can be preserved.

Government Waste Disposal Facilities for Construction Waste and Charging

Government waste disposal facilities Type of construction waste accepted Charge per tonne
Public fill reception facilities Consisting entirely of
inert construction waste
Sorting facilities Containing more than 50% by weight of inert construction waste $175
Landfills Containing not more than 50% by weight of inert construction waste $200
Outlying Islands Transfer Facilities Containing any percentage of
inert construction waste

For the details, please visit http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/misc/cdm/.

Inert Construction Waste

Inert construction waste means rock, rubble, boulder, earth soil, sand, concrete, asphalt, brick, tile, masonry or used bentonite.

Non-inert Construction Waste

Non-inert construction waste includes bamboo, timber, vegetation, packaging waste and other organic materials.

Back to topdot_clear.gif
User review date: 
Monday, 20 May, 2019