Guidelines & References - Noise

Arrangement on exemption for classic vehicles and personal imports from noise and air emission regulations between 1 June to 14 June 2022

The Environmental Protection Department (EPD) announced the termination of exemption for classic vehicles and petrol vehicles imported for personal use from the Noise Control (Motor Vehicles) Regulations and the Air Pollution Control (Vehicle Design Standards) (Emissions) Regulations at first vehicle registration, with effect from 0.00am (June 1) (Hong Kong time). There has been an upward trend in the number of classic vehicles and petrol vehicles imported for personal use exempted from noise and air emission regulations among the first-registered vehicles in Hong Kong. In order to ensure all first-registered vehicles to meet the relevant noise and air emission standards so as to improve the air quality and noise environment, and make Hong Kong a livable city, the EPD decided to terminated the relevant exemption for the aforementioned vehicles with immediate effect.

If anyone who has signed a contract to purchase or order a classic vehicle and made full or partial payment for it, or has arranged the shipment of a vehicle imported for personal use to Hong Kong before 0.00am on June 1, 2022 (Hong Kong time) may apply for the exemption from testing and certification of compliance with relevant emission requirements for the vehicle by submitting the required supporting documents to the EPD before 5pm on June 14, 2022 (Hong Kong time).

Originals (along with a set of hard copy for documentation) of required supporting documents include:
(1) sale and purchase contract and Payment Receipt for Classic Vehicles, or
(2) shipping documents and bills of lading for imported vehicles for personal use in Hong Kong
The originals of supporting documents must include:
(1) applicant's information, and
(2) vehicle information (make, model, VIN/chassis number and engine number etc.), and
(3) date of sale and payment or shipment documents and bill of lading.

Classic vehicles are those manufactured at least 20 years before the date of application for relevant exemption. For a vehicle imported for personal use, an applicant must have owned the vehicle outside Hong Kong for more than six months and the applicant must normally reside in that country or region prior to the application for relevant exemption. The aforementioned vehicles include petrol private cars, motorcycles and motor tricycles.

Applicants should note that late submission of originals of the required supporting documents will not be processed. Exemptions is granted or otherwise is at the discretion of the Director of Environmental Protection, who may impose additional requirements to safeguard public interest.


Back to topdot_clear.gifTable of Content