Multi-pronged approach on waste transfer
More efficient, more hygienic
Latest TV, Radio API and Promotion Poster
From 6 January 2016 onwards, the South East New Territories (SENT) Landfill at Tseung Kwan O will be designated to receive only construction waste to address the odour problem. The waste collectors who currently collect domestic, commercial and industrial waste from various districts will no longer be able to dispose of the waste at the SENT Landfill. To assist the trade and the public to adapt to the changes, the Government has formulated a Waste Diversion Plan, with an aim to ensuring proper and convenient disposal of waste at refuse transfer stations at a fee and other landfills.
Under the Waste Diversion Plan the following measures are being implemented:
- Re-routing the refuse collection service of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department to free up sufficient capacity at the refuse transfer stations for handling the waste diverted from the SENT Landfill;
- Opening Shatin Transfer Station, making a total of 7 refuse transfer stations offering refuse transfer service to private waste collectors;
- The Trial Scheme for Private Waste Collectors at Shatin Refuse Transfer Station was organized from Nov 2014 to Feb 2015 to assist waste collectors to get familiar with the operation of the STTS [completed];
- Reducing the charge rate of the refuse transfer service at the Island East Transfer Station and Island West Transfer Station, from HK$40 to HK$30 per tonne of waste, to align the charge level of the service at Kowloon, Hong Kong Island and Shatin; and
- Mandating equipment standards on refuse collection vehicles to enhance the environmental performance of refuse collection operation and implementing a Subsidy Scheme for Retrofitting Refuse Collection Vehicles
- Upon the SENT Landfill ceases to receive domestic, commercial and industrial waste, waste collectors may use the following available waste disposal facilities:
Landfill North East New Territories Landfill West New Territories Landfill Location Ta Kwu Ling, New Territories Nim Wan, Tuen Mun Opening Hours 0800 - 1800 0800 - 2000
Charge per tonne of domestic, or commercial & industrial waste
Free of charge Free of charge Refuse Transfer Station / Facility Shatin Island
West Kowloon North Lantau North West New Territories Ma Wan Location
On Hing Lane, Shatin
Sun Yip Street, Chai Wan Kennedy Town, Sai Wan Ngong Shung Road, Shumshuipo Siu Ho Wan, North Lantau Lam Tei, Tuen Mun Pak Wan, Ma Wan Opening Hours 0730 -
0730 - 2330 0730 -
Charge per tonne of waste
$ 30# $ 30# $ 30# $ 30 $ 110 $ 38 $ 68
# New charge rate effective on 1 March 2015.
- Waste collectors may need to review the waste collection routing and schedule, and make necessary arrangement with the property owners or the property management companies whom they serve.
- From 1 April 2015 onwards, a refuse collection vehicle must be equipped with a metal tailgate cover and a waste water sump tank in good working condition when entering a refuse transfer station or a landfill. Failing to comply with the requirements is an offence and the vehicle driver or his employer is liable to a maximum fine of $100,000. For details of the equipment standards, please visit the relevant webpage.
- Shop tenants, property owners and property management companies currently employing private waste collection service may need to liaise with their contractors on possible new arrangement of waste collection and schedule, due to re-routing of waste collection;
- Re-routing of waste collection may involve revision of collection fees.
We have been liaising closely with trades, using various channels to consult them and to convey the latest information regarding the Waste Diversion Plan:
Setting up a working group
A working group has been set up since March 2014 for representatives from waste collection, property management trade associations and government departments to meet regularly to discuss the detailed arrangement of waste diversion. We also disseminate the information of Waste Diversion Plan and to collect feedback.
Briefing sessions on Waste Diversion Plan
2 briefing sessions were conducted in May 2015, to brief the trade of waste collection and property management regarding the various measures under the Waste Diversion Plan, remind them of the necessary actions to be taken and to receive feedback from them.
Download the presentation slides (chinese version only)
- Waste Diversion Plan
- New Refuse Collection Vehicle Equipment Requirements
Should you have any questions regarding the Waste Diversion Plan, you are welcome to contact us:
- By Telephone: 2872 1704
- By Fax: 2872 0501
- By Email：firstname.lastname@example.org