Environmental Noise

You should be considerate to your neighbours. Measures that can be taken to avoid causing noise disturbance to the neighbours includes:

Pet nuisance

  • As owners of pets such as dogs, birds and cats, you must prevent them from causing any noise nuisance to your neighbours.
  • Don't let your dog bark or whine or leave it alone for long periods.

Musical noise

  • Keep the volume as low as possible, especially late at night. Use headphones (either cord type or infra red which give more freedom of movement), or listen to music on a personal stereo.
  • When not using headphones or an earpiece, set the bass control at a low level as the "bass beat" can be particularly irritating.
  • If you play a musical instrument, avoid practice early in the morning or during the late evening/night.
  • If the instrument has an amplifier, turn the volume down or preferably use personal headphones.

Renovation noise

  • Don't carry out renovation works between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. or on Sundays or general holidays; otherwise, obtain a valid Construction Noise Permit from the Environmental Protection Department before carrying out the works.
  • Don't leave powered tools running idly - switch it off when you are not using it.
  • Complete the work as quickly as possible - don't let it drag on for months.
  • Abide by any house rules imposed by the building management in respect of renovation noise such as restriction on working hours.


  • If you are playing outside, such as in common parts of the buildings, ensure you do not create excessive noise disturbance, especially by yelling and engaging in noisy pastimes.
  • Keep your air-conditioners or other appliance in good maintenance condition to avoid causing noise nuisance to your neighbours.

If you find the noise unbearable, you could first bring the matter to the attention of the property management agents/companies. If difficulties are encountered in solving the problem, you can refer the problem to the local police for immediate enforcement action.

You can also report to the Police or the Environmental Protection Department or other relevant departments by telephone, facsimile or e-mail. For details, please visit our website:

You can also learn more about noise by visiting the following websites: