A Simple Guide to Set Up an Environmental Management System
Define An Environmental Policy (Module 4)
What could be included in the Environmental Policy ?
In the Environmental Policy, the organization should state its commitments to regulatory compliance, prevention of pollution and continual improvement of environmental management. Therefore, the policy statements usually address a combination of the following : -
- Meet all relevant regulatory and legislative requirements
- Reduce waste and consumption of resources (materials, fuel and energy), recover and recycle, where feasible
- Minimize the production of pollutants to the environment
- Adopt technologies and raw materials that will minimize pollution, energy use and waste
- Design products in such a way to minimize their environmental effects in production, use and disposal
- Minimize the adverse environmental effects of new developments through strategic planning
- Provide environmental education and training
- Work towards the achievement of sustainable development
Here is an example :
ATTITUDE : We will keep on improving the environment for the enjoyment of our customers, staff and local residents.
GOAL : We will comply with all relevant regulatory requirements.
PUBLICITY : We will communicate our environmental objectives, efforts and achievements to the public.
REDUCE : We will minimize the resource utilization and waste production.
STAFF : We will ensure our staff are aware of their environmental responsibilities and provide them with proper training.
COUNTERPART : We believe in "green" purchasing and expect high environmental standards from suppliers and contractors who work for us.
Keep in mind :
The environmental policy should be :-
- Simple and intellegible.
- Consistent with other organizational policies e.g. quality policy.
- Practical and achievable.
- Communicated to and supported by all staff.