A Simple Guide to Set Up an Environmental Management System
Define An Environmental Policy (Module 4)
An Environmental Policy is.....
"A statement by the organization of its intentions and principles in relation to its overall environmental performance which provides a framework for action and for the setting of its environmental objectives and targets."
(Definition quoted from ISO 14001)
- Resources utilization;
- Regulatory compliance; and
- Environmental management.
Why do you need to define an Environmental Policy ?
What could be included in the Environmental Policy ?
Here is an example
Keep in mind
More examples of environmental policies from different organizations
It is necessary because a documented policy statement would :-
- Demonstrate the organization's commitment to improving its environmental performance;
- Communicate the organization's mission, vision and beliefs towards the environment to the staff and other interested parties; and
- Provide a framework for guiding the organization's ongoing environmental improvement efforts.